Get Your Hands On Some Cash For College

You may be surprised to discover that a number of scholarships, grants, and other financial aid programs are available to help pay for your college and living expenses. Also, financial aid is often available to pay for technical, trade, or vocational school programs. Many different types of schools, not just colleges and universities, have financial assistance available to students.

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the first step in the financial aid process.  Using the information on your FAFSA, the financial aid office at your college will determine the amount of aid (i.e. scholarships, grants, work-study, and loans) that you will receive.

La Casa Student Housing will host a FAFSA Completion Workshop this Saturday! Plan to attend.


FAFSA Completion Workshop
CLICK HERE to join us for a hands-on FAFSA completion workshop. Bilingual experts will be available to answer your questions.


Saturday, January 26, 2013
9 a.m. – 12 p.m.


La Casa Student Resource Center
1815 S. Paulina Street
Chicago, IL 60608
NOTE: If you plan to take public transportation, consider using PLAN A TRIP.

Don't miss out. Get registered and invite your family and friends too. This workshop is FREE! 

Which FAFSA should I complete?


Select the school year for which you are applying for financial aid. For example, if you plan to attend college between July 1, 2013 and June 30, 2014, click The 2013-2014 School Year (July 1, 2013 – June 30, 2014). If you plan to attend college between July 1, 2012 and June 30, 2013, click the other link. If you are applying for a summer session, check with your college to verify which application you should complete.

Who is eligible to complete a FAFSA?


In order to receive federal student aid there are requirements.

The following is a list of some of the requirements:

  • You must be a United States citizen or eligible noncitizen of the United States with a valid Social Security Number (SSN).
  • You must have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) certificate, or have completed homeschooling. If you don’t, you may still be eligible for federal student aid if you were enrolled in college or career school prior to July 1, 2012. Go to for additional information.
  • You must enroll in an eligible program as a regular student seeking a degree or certificate.
  • You must be making satisfactory academic progress.
  • If you are a male between the ages of 18 and 25, you must register or already be registered with Selective Service. You must also register if you are not currently on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces. If you are a citizen of the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands or the Republic of Palau you are exempt from registering (see for more information).
  • If you were convicted for the possession or sale of illegal drugs for an offense that occurred while you were receiving federal student aid (such as grants, loans, or work-study), you must complete the Student Aid Eligibility Worksheet to determine if you are Eligible for aid or Partially Eligible for aid.
  • You must not owe a refund on a federal grant or be in default on a federal education loan.
  • You must have financial need (except for unsubsidized Stafford loans).

Other requirements may apply. Contact the financial aid office at your college for more information.

Signing the FAFSA with a PIN


Federal Student Aid is required to collect signatures from you and a parent (if applicable) to verify the information entered on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

There are three ways to sign:

  • Electronically with a PIN
  • By printing, signing, and mailing a signature page after you submit the FAFSA
  • By signing your Student Aid Report (SAR) and returning it in the mail

TIP: The application process is faster if you use your PIN to sign your application electronically.

If you already have a PIN you can use it to sign your FAFSA from one year to the next.

If you have lost or forgotten your PIN you need to request a duplicate. You can request a duplicate PIN by clicking Request A Duplicate PIN on the left side of the PIN Home Page. You must answer your challenge question in order to request a duplicate PIN.

What documents do I need to complete a FAFSA?


You will need records of income earned in the year prior to when you will start school. You may also need records of your parents' income information if you are a dependent student.

For the 2013-2014 school year you will need financial information from 2012. You may need to refer to:

    • Your Social Security card. It is important that you enter your Social Security Number correctly!
    • Your driver's license (if any)
    • Your 2012 W-2 forms and other records of money earned
    • Your (and if married, your spouse's) 2012 Federal Income Tax Return.
           - IRS 1040, 1040A, 1040 EZ
           - Foreign Tax Return, or
           - Tax Return for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federal States of Micronesia, or Palau
    • Your Parents' 2012 Federal Income Tax Return (if you are a dependent student)
    • Your 2012 untaxed income records
    • Your current bank statements
    • Your current business and investment mortgage information, business and farm records, stock, bond and other investment records
    • Your alien registration or permanent resident card (if you are not a U.S. citizen)

To organize your information, you can print and complete a FAFSA on the Web Worksheet before you begin entering your information online. However, you are not required to do so. FAFSA on the Web will guide you through the questions that you must answer, and you can save your application and return to it later if you don't have the information you need to answer any of the questions.

Keep these records! You may need them again. Do not mail your records to Federal Student Aid.

Other Scholarships

Start looking for scholarships as soon as you’ve made your decision to go to college.

Generally, a "scholarship" is a type of “gift aid” that rewards a student for grades, athletics, a unique skill, a special talent, financial needs or even a specific career interest. Scholarships do not typically need to be paid back, though some scholarships have program requirements and/or obligations.  New scholarships are created all the time. So don’t stop with one search.  Consider the Scholarship Links and read about the programs listed below to start your search.

      • La Casa Student Housing Scholarship - La Casa Student Housing Scholarship funds are awarded on the basis of a student’s demonstrated financial need.  Scholarship funds are credited to a student’s rental account in equal monthly installments over the course of a three-, nine- or twelve-month leasing period.  Please note that if a student does not fulfill the full-length of the agreed upon leasing period, any remaining balance on the scholarship award is forfeited.


      • Black College Dollars - This free scholarship search, geared for African-American students, contains more than 300 scholarships searchable by GPA requirement, academic and career interest, and application deadline.



      • CPS Scholarship Guide, 2012 - This resource is designed to assist you with your scholarship search. In this guide, Chicago Public Schools (CPS) compiles a list of scholarships based on information that various CPS-affiliated providers distribute. It included many of the scholarships that past CPS students have won.


      • FAFSA – Free Application for Federal Student Aid - Completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the first step toward getting federal aid for college, career school, or graduate school. The U.S. Department of Education provides more than $150 billion in grants, loans, and work-study funds each year, but you have to complete the FAFSA to see if you can get any of that money.


      • Federal Student Aid - The U.S. Department of Education offers a variety of federal grants to students attending four-year colleges or universities, community colleges, and career schools.


      • Find Scholarships - Be sure to search all available sources of financial aid information—local, state, and national—when you're building your financial plan. “Find Scholarships” is a scholarship database on What’s Next Illinois, a tools of Illinois Student Assistance Commission – the financial aid agency in the State of Illinois.


      • Gates Millennium Scholarship - The Gates Millennium Scholars (GMS) Program selects 1,000 talented students each year to receive a good-through-graduation scholarship to use at any college or university of their choice. We provide Gates Millennium Scholars with personal and professional development through our leadership programs along with academic support throughout their college career.


      • Golden Apple Scholars of Illinois - The Golden Apple Scholars of Illinois program recruits and prepares bright and talented high school graduates who represent a rich ethnic diversity for successful teaching careers in high need schools throughout Illinois and provides scholarships to students pursuing teaching degrees. See Golden Apple Foundation.


      • Hispanic Scholarship Fund - The Hispanic Scholarship Fund (HSF) is the nation’s largest not-for-profit organization supporting Hispanic higher education.


      • IEF Signature Scholarship Program - The Illinois Education Foundation (IEF) empowers low-income, highly motivated community college students to succeed in school, in work and in life. IEF Scholars benefit from financial, academic, and professional development opportunities including: a mentor and monthly development workshops, intensive academic advising, free one-on-one tutoring in any academic subject, and tuition assistance and a stipend to defray the cost of books, uniforms, and transportation.


      • Illinois DREAM Fund (Scholarships for Undocumented Students in Illinois) - The Illinois Dream Fund Scholarship seeks to create access to financial resources to further growth and development for the immigrant leaders of tomorrow.


      • Illinois Scholarship Programs - The number of scholarships made through programs administered by ISAC, as well as the individual dollar amount awarded, are subject to sufficient annual appropriations by the Illinois General Assembly and the Governor.


      • Illinois Dollars for Scholars - Dollars for Scholars is a national network of community-based scholarship foundations. A program of Scholarship America, the national program provides more than 45 years of experience and resources to the Illinois Dollars for Scholars region and its local chapter affiliates. Individuals interested in applying for a scholarship should contact their local chapter's officials, who will provide specific details regarding application requirements. A listing of chapters is provided at the Illinois Dollars for Scholars Find a Chapter page.



      • Latino College Dollars - This is a trusted scholarship search engine that is updated annually. It allows you to search a national scholarship database that includes scholarships that do not require citizenship or legal permanent residency. You and your family can view this in English and Spanish.


Quick Links

      • CLICK HERE to see La Casa Rate Sheet and a list of features and amenities.
      • CLICK HERE to see a Room Layout.
      • CLICK HERE to see photos inside La Casa.
      • CLICK HERE to schedule a tour of La Casa Student Housing and Resource Center
      • CLICK HERE to download a La Casa Student Housing Application Kit (All Forms)

For answers to your questions about La Casa Student Housing & Resource Center, don’t hesitate to call or e-mail me at:

Maria Bucio
Director of La Casa Student Housing
The Resurrection Project
312-666-1323 ext. 2400